These Keto Zucchini Fries are breaded with almond flour, parmesan, and spices, then baked until perfectly crispy! The best keto, low-carb side dish!
Zucchini Fries Recipe by The Big Mans World
Need a healthier take on French fries? Try this zucchini fries recipe.
They have been a healthier and low carb alternative to traditional potato fries. They take minutes to make and are seriously addictive. Now, these fries may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you, they are so easy to whip up.
Just like our keto French fries, there are no grains, and no excessive oil are needed, but you’d never tell. However, the texture is long, thin, crispy, and crunchy. They are salty and slightly cheesy, without being overpowering.
Further to that, You can bake them in the oven or cook them in the air fryer: both lower fat options while keeping MAXIMUM crispness!
- Zucchini. Use firm zucchini, not overripe ones. The latter will become quite limp and lose the ideal ‘fries’ texture.
- Eggs. To dip the zucchini in before coating it in the breadcrumb and parmesan mixture.
- Bread crumbs. Either panko bread crumbs or for a low carb twist, use keto bread crumbs.
- Parmesan cheese. Use finely grated parmesan cheese, and NOT the kind in the dry grocery aisle.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to make zucchini fries
Keto zucchini fries are easy to make: the only thing to remember is to mop up any excess moisture that immediately seeps out of the vegetable. Here’s the basic idea of making them (or see the full recipe below):
- Prepare the zucchini: Start by slicing your zucchini into long and thin strips. Next, add your eggs to a small bowl and whisk them together. In a separate bowl, mix your breadcrumb substitute, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Bread the zucchini fries: Cip the zucchini in the whisked eggs, before dipping them in the breadcrumb mixture, until mostly coated. Place the zucchini on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake and serve: Bake for 20-25 minutes, regularly rotating them to ensure they become crispy on all sides.
How to make air fryer zucchini fries
Did you know you can make them in the air fryer? Here’s the process to do so:
- Prep the zucchini as instructed.
- Place them in a greased air fryer basket.
- Air fry at 200C/400F for 13-15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Be sure not to overcrowd the basket, otherwise, the fries will cook unevenly
Tips to make the best keto zucchini fries
- Oven makes and models vary. If your fries aren’t super crispy, you can bake them a little longer.
- You must rotate your fries as they are baking, as we don’t want certain sides to be soggy.
- Add extra spices or seasonings to amp up the flavor.
- Serve the fries with your favorite keto condiments, like ketchup or guacamole.
Wondering what’s the best way to store these fries? Here are best practices for zucchini fry storage:
- Up to five days: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled zucchini fries in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to two months,
- To reheat: Either reheat in a preheated oven or air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are zucchini fries healthier than French fries?
Calorie and carb-wise, when prepared identically, they are healthier than potato fries.
Why are my zucchini fries soggy?
If you don’t mop up excess moisture, the fries risk being soggy.
How do you get the water out of zucchini fries?
To remove excess water from the zucchini, lightly salt the fries and let them sit for 10 minutes. This draws out excess moisture.
Other recipes you might like to try: Tasty Red Thai Chicken Curry, Tasty Red Thai Chicken Curry, Mushroom Soup Cream
Keto Zucchini Fries
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs * See notes
- ½ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice your zucchini into thin matchsticks and set aside. In a small bowl, add your eggs and whisk them until combined. In a separate bowl, add your breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Dip your zucchini in the egg mixture, followed by the spice and crumb mixture, and place on the lined sheet. Repeat the process until all the zucchini has been used up.
- Bake the zucchini fries for 22-25 minutes, regularly turning so they become ultra crispy. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Reading your article helped me a lot and I agree with you. But I still have some doubts, can you clarify for me? I’ll keep an eye out for your answers.
I have been reading out many of your stories and i can state pretty good stuff. I will surely bookmark your website.